NAVIGATION

Community

Surviving CR – A Blast from the Past

Surviving CR – A Blast from the Past

Greetings, folks of the future! Time travel has always been a favorite sci-fi subject of mine, so I’ve decided to take advantage of the fact that my Howler submission deadli

Tico Time Zone – Bus Stop of Life

Tico Time Zone – Bus Stop of Life

This month’s subject was going to be a few bus tales about all my adventures traveling back and forth from San José. I was still pondering the best ones, only to get lucky

August Odysseys –  Waimea

August Odysseys – Waimea

Before she moved to Costa Rica, Kristen Brown was a very dedicated athlete on the basketball court. Kristen is a strong, talented girl who actually received a full basketball

Sea Shepherd – Without the Blue, There Can Be No Green

Sea Shepherd – Without the Blue, There Can Be No Green

In the August Howler article “Behind the Green Mask,” Captain Paul Watson, founding president and executive director of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, shared his p

Surviving Costa Rica – Eating

Surviving Costa Rica – Eating

“Extremely trendy” translates to cuisine not normally available back in Ohio or Saskatchewan. (more…)

August Odysseys – The shirts cleverly read, “I got my crabs from Dirty Dick’s.”

August Odysseys – The shirts cleverly read, “I got my crabs from Dirty Dick’s.”

Back in the late 1970s, on the Atlantic coast of the United States, there weren’t too many surf shops quite yet. So I sent a big container filled with surfboards and shirts from California to Miami. From there, I rented the biggest van I could to transport the merchandise up the East Coast for distribution. I was alone on the trip. The idea was to cruise the whole coastline, going to different surf shops and showing them what we had. (more…)

Legal Corner – Corporation Alert

Under a new law effective September 1, 2017, all registered corporations, subsidiaries and legal liability companies in Costa Rica will be subject to an annual tax payable on

Insurance Nuggets – Agent or Broker? Know which one works for you

An insurance broker inherently works for you, the client. (more…)

Environment – Rain Bombs Away

Environment – Rain Bombs Away

A woman in San José came home from work one day to find her entire back yard gone. (more…)

Building CR – Roofing 101: Guanacaste Style

Building CR – Roofing 101: Guanacaste Style

…the sound of rain simulates living under a waterfall — it’s really that loud. (more…)